Have you ever had to toss your berries before you had a chance to enjoy them? The secret to extending the life of your berries is a white vinegar bath! I know we all have been told not wash our berries until just before eating them. However, berries carry mold spores and bacteria that causes them to spoil rather quickly. The great news is that vinegar destroys harmful bacteria so bathing your strawberries in it will keep them fresh longer. And it won’t leave your berries tasting like vinegar I promise! Here is how to prevent wasting your next berry purchase.
- Discard any berries that show any signs of mold.
- Mix a solution of 1 part white vinegar to 10 parts cold water in a large bowl.
- Gently add the berries to the vinegar solution and swish them around to remove any dirt
- Let the berries soak in the vinegar solution for about 5 mins.
- Drain the berries in a colander and rinse them with cold water to remove any traces of vinegar
- Place rinsed berries on paper towels to dry completely
- Place dry berries in a container lined with paper towels and store in the fridge uncovered. The paper towel helps absorbs any moisture that occurs as a result of been in the fridge.
- Now you can enjoy your berries from 1 - 2 weeks longer!
Note: This method works best for firm berries like strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Raspberries are a little too fragile, so stick to the method of only rinsing them just before eating.